Abhayarista is a very famous Ayurvedic medicine, widely used in the treatment of hemorrhoids and constipation. It contains self generated alcohol upt 5 – 7 %. The alcohol acts as a medium for the active principles of herbs to dissolve. It is mainly indicated in piles and constipation
12 – 24 ml. one or two times a day, usually advised after food.
If needed, equal quantity of water can be added before consumption.
Dose based on age:
For children 1 – 3 years of age: 2 ml once or twice a day.
For children 3- 7 years: 5 ml, once or twice a day.
For 7 – 12 year old – 10 ml once or two times a day.
For 12 – 18 year old – 15 ml once or twice a day
For adults – 15 – 30 ml once or twice a day
If needed, water can be added in equal quantity of the liquid, just before administration.
How long to use?
Based on doctor’s prescription, this medicine can be used for several months.
Safe for kids?
Safe in lower doses for kids above 3 years of age. Accidental over-dosage should be strictly avoided.
Pregnancy and lactation:
Best to avoid during pregnancy. Can be taken during lactation period, after consulting doctor.
Useful in piles, hemorrhoids, relieves bloating, constipation. Improvesdigestion
Traditionally it is used in the treatment of –
Arsha – hemorrhoids
Udara Roga – gaseous distension of abdomen, ascites
Vibandha – constipation
Mutrabandha – difficulty in urination
REFERENCE - BHAISHAJYA RATNAVALI, ARSHOROGADHIKARA (FOR PILES), PAGE NO. 105-110.
Abhayarishta (Abhayarishtam) is an ayurvedic poly herbal formulation. It contains many herbs but one of the major herb is abhaya or haritaki. It is sacred to lord Shiva. In Ayurveda it is known as king of medicines.
Haritaki is famous for its carminative, antispasmodic, carminative, purgative, antiviral, astringent, hypoglycemic, antibacterial, anti-oxidant, laxative and expectorant properties.
Abhayarishta (Abhayarishtam) is a fermented liquid herbal formulation. It contains plenty of fruitful herbs with a particular range. This formulation involves three categories of dravya (liquid). These herbs are:-
|Kwatha dravya (Decoction herbs):-
|Sandhana dravya (Fermentative agents):-
|Prakshepaka dravyas (Aromatic herbs):-
Method Of Preparation
- Take the raw materials with measured quantity.
- Wash and dry then powder the ingredients of kvatha dravya, haritaki and vidanga. Pass this through the 44 number sieve to obtain coarse powder.
- Now wash another kvatha ingredients, mridvika and madhuka.
- Clean dry and get powder form of all the ingredients of Prakshepaka dravyas. Pass this mixture through 85no. Sieve to get a fine powder.
- As given specific amount of water to kvatha dravya, soak overnight, boil and reduce up to one fourth part. Now filter through muslin cloth and collect kvatha.
- Add Sandhana dravya, guda to the kvatha, mix and filter.
- Transfer the filtrate in a container and fine powder form of Prakshepaka dravyas.
- Now seal the container mouth.
- Place the container to the fermentation room. Check regularly to know the progress report of fermentation.
- On its completion, filter the fermented material through muslin cloth.
- Finally pack in air tight containers and keep for maturation.
- Now store the bottle in cool place and protect from moisture and light.
- The formulation is clear dark brown color liquid with aromatic odor and bitter taste.
Properties Of Abhayarishta (Abhayarishtam)
Abhayarishta (Abhayarishtam) is a great ayurvedic formulation which is known to enrich with fruitful herbs especially, haritaki that contains effective phytochemicals. These play essential role in defensing against various infections. These phytochemicals are protein hydrolytes, gallic acid, B – sitosterol, tannic acid, flavonoids, sterols, resins, fructose, anthraquinones, terpinenes and many more. Due to these phytochemicals herbs are packed with properties such as purgative, antiviral, astringent, hypoglycemic, anti-oxidant, laxative, expectorant, carminative, antispasmodic and antibacterial. The carminative and antispasmodic properties calm the inner spasm and manage the condition of flatulence and bloating. Abhayarishta also has purgative and astringent properties which are effective to manage the problem of piles and fistula as constipation is further aggravating factor for them. As an astringent, this shrinks piles and enhances its healing power. The property of antioxidant is known to inhibit oxidation of molecules, hence reduces the production of free radicals. Therefore, these properties combine to manage various disease conditions.
- Loss of appetite
- Worm infestation
- For Adults:- 15ml to 30ml Abhayarishta by mixing it with the same quantity of water.
- Infants:- Take 0.5 ml two times a day after a meal
- Toddler:- Take 1 ml two times a day after a meal
- For age 3-12:- Take 2.5 ml two times a day after a meal
- Teenagers:- Take 15-20 ml two times a day after a meal
Generally with nil contradictions.
Sometimes cause loose stools, especially in patients with pitta body type.