Asafoetida(inguva) is an ancient Indian culinary ingredient, loaded with immense health benefits. Its powder with buttermilk is a very famous Indian home remedy for bloating. It is called as Hingu in Sanskrit and also in many other languages.
Botanical name: Ferula narthex / Ferula foetida / Ferula asafoetida
Hindi name: Heeng, Hing
Kannada name: Hingu
Telugu name: Inguva
Bengali, Marathi name: Hing
Gujarathi name: Badharani
Tamil name: perungayam
Malayalam name: Rungayam
Farsi name: Angajah, Angoj
Arabbi name: Hilteel
Sanskrit Synonyms and meaning:
Hingu, Sahasravedhi – effective in thousands of ways
Jatuka – similar to Laksha herb, having exudate
Bahleeka, Ramatha – Available in places like Bahlika and Ramatha
Ugragandha – has offensive smell
benefits of asafoetida
Asafoetida good for digestion: Asafoetida is helpful in digestion and abdominal injury. Fried asafoetida is good in treating disorders of stomach. It is also used as local application in the disorders of stomach and lungs. The wonderful generic preparation for all the digestive uses known as Hingvashtak Churna (ingredients: ginger, black pepper, long pepper, seeds of ajowan, cumin seeds, seeds of black cumin, rock salt, and asfoetida) should be taken in the dose of 2 tsp along with butter milk or warm water. This cure gas distension, acts as digestive and appetizer.
Asafoetida treats asthma: Asafoetida is helpful in curing of asthma, bronchitis, common cold and other respiratory problems.
Asafoetida balances Vata and Kapha: Asafoetida is an extremely beneficial medicine in balancing of Vata and Kapha doshas. Asafetida relives Vata and Kapha thus helpful in overcoming the problems of flatulence, digestion and baby colic problems. Asafoetida intensifies the Pitta dosha thus enhances appetite and digestion.
- Asafetida is good in checking the growth of microorganism in the stomach thereby helpful in prevention of gastritis, constipation and flatulence.
- If somebody is suffering from the problems of toothache, dental caries, applying the powder of asafoetida and clove gives great relief in reducing pain immediately.
- The application from the powder of asafoetida gives relief from the pain of insect bite. It is also helpful in reducing the toxic effects as well as pain and inflammation.
- Its application is good against ringworm infection.
- Nasal insufflations of asafetida powder are very effective in acute fits.
- For disorders like halitosis and excessive salvation, it is suggested to take asafetida powder along with ginger.
- It is especially good for stomach problems such as stomach gas, intestinal gas, gastritis, flatulence, irritable bowel syndrome, and colon problems.
- It is also beneficial against convulsion and hysteria.
- Asafoetida is effective against breathing problems like bronchitis, H1N1 swine flu, asthma, whooping cough, cold, etc.
- Asafoetida is the important species that is generally found in the kitchen. It is one of the ingredients of our kitchen cuisine.
- In South Indian foods, it helps to balance the sweet, sour, salty and spicy component of the food materials.
- Asafoetida is used as digestive aid and digestion promoter in foods.
- When it is heated with oil or ghee, gives a unique aroma that enhances the taste and flavor of the food.
- Asafoetida is used to resume the stopped menstrual periods.
- The ayurvedic herb is used as fragrance in cosmetics and ingredient flavor.
- Due to its strong flavor, asafoetida is used in curries, sauces and pickles.