Jatamamsi is a natural brain nervine tonic and a memory enhancer, which has calming, peacefulness and relaxation features. It is an endangered ayurvedic medical herb had been used since the ancient times for many medicinal purposes. In the market, it is available in the form of root, oil and powder. Nardostachys Jatamamsi is a known calming herb in Ayurveda and Unani because of its medicinal values. A number of studies have been done for its efficacy in respect of nervous system. In ayurveda, it is prescribed against stress, spasm, epilepsy, convulsion and hysteria. In fact, it is one of the excellent herbs to treat epilepsy. The relaxing herb is known by different names like Jatamamsi, spikenard, nard, nardin, muskroot, balchar, sumbul-ut-teeb, sambul lateeb. Jatamamsi is consisted of two words: Jata means dread locks and manasi indicates towards human. It comes under the family of Valerianaceae. It has been found in the Himalayan region.
Uses & Benefits of Jatamamsi
- * Jatamamsi can be used internally as well as externally.
- * It is a well-known brain tonic and imparts a sense of calm and peace to mind.
- * The herb is mixed with cold water to form a paste and reduce burning sensation, inflammation, pain and improving skin texture.
- * Since it is fragrant, jatamamsi powder is used as a deodorant in case of excessive sweating.
- * The powder also helps in treating mental retardation and mental disorders, regularizing digestion in the body, regularizing respiratory tract and suppressing general body weakness.
- * The decoction of the herb is poured on the affected areas in ailments associated with burning and in erysipelas.
- * Jatamamsi is useful for urine-related problems and maintaining the circulatory system.
- * The herb increases appetite, relieves the phlegm in cough and asthma, proves useful in hepatitis and treats enlargement of the liver.
- * It is used as an adjunct in the treatment of sexual debility and impotence.
- * Jatamamsi relieves symptoms like vertigo, seizures etc. in fever.
- * Since it exerts a cleansing effect on the uterus, it is used in menstrual ailments like dysmenorrheal and inflammation of the uterus.
- * The herb stops fermentation and gas in the stomach.
- * Jatamamsi is considered as one of the best herbs for treating epilepsy.
- * It reduces hyperactivity, restlessness and aggressiveness in hyperactive children.
Caution Jatamansi, when consumed in large doses, causes vomiting and diarrhea with abdominal pain, nausea, colic and urinary problems. Consult a healthcare professional before using jatamansi during pregnancy and lactation.