Khadirarishta is a liquid Ayurvedic medicine. It is also known by the terms khadirarishtam and Khadirarisht.Khadirarishtam contains 5 – 10 % of self generated alcohol in it. This self generated alcohol and the water present in the product acts as a media to deliver water and alcohol soluble the active herbal components to the body.
Khadirarishta uses: Khadirarishta is widely used in the treatment of skin diseases.
It is used in the treatment of
Mahakushta – all types of chronic skin diseases including leprosy.
Hrudroga – cardiac disorders – It is a good heart tonic
Panduroga – anemia, early stage of liver disorders
Arbuda – tumors
Gulma – Abdominal tumor
Granthi – cysts
Krumi – intestinal worms, wound with infection
Kasa – cough
Shwasa – Asthma, dyspnoea
Pleeha – splenomegaly
Udara – Ascites
12 – 24 ml. one or two times a day, usually advised after food.
If needed, it can be mixed with equal quantity of water.
Khadirarishta is a liquid poly-herbal Ayurvedic medicine which is also known by other names khadirarishtam and Khadirarisht. Khadirarishta comprises 5 - 10 % of self-generated alcohol in it. It is clear, dark brown liquid with no frothing and essential sedimentation and has astringent taste. Khadirarishta is useful as an excellent blood purifier, antibacterial, digestive agent and eliminates blood toxins. Used in clearing Pimples and Acne from the skin.
REFERENCE - BHAISHAJYA RATNAVALI 54/365-370
Method Of Preparation
All these herbs (Khadira, Devadaru, Bakuchi, Darvi, Vibhitaki, and Amalaki) are taken in coarse powder form and then boiled with the definite amount of water and which is further reduced to a quarter part to get Kashaya. It is then filtered and added with sugar and thoroughly mixed. It is filtered once again.
Then rest of the ingredients are added into it and this is kept in an air tight container that has been smeared from inside with ghee for fermentation. After a month, it is taken out and filtered.
Its shelf life is of 10 years. Once the bottle is opened it is better to vacant it within 2 months.
Properties Of Khadirarishta
Khadirarishta is an Ayurvedic formulation used to manage the various health complications. Antimicrobial action of this medicine helps to fight against the various infections in body. Blood purification properties of this medicine are quite effective to treat the skin diseases like leucoderma, leprosy, boils, herpes, psoriasis etc. This medicine helps to manage the symptoms in skin diseases like itching, rashes, sores etc. It helps to remove the waste materials from body. Laxative action of this medicine is good for constipation as it helps in softening of stools. Anthelmintic properties of Khadirarishta are also very effective against tapeworms, roundworms and flukes. For liver disease, it helps in cleansing of liver as it remove the toxins from liver. Hence use of this medicine is good in jaundice, splenomegaly etc. This medicine is useful in case of tumor, abdominal lump, cysts. Respiratory properties of this medicine are good to resolve the problems like asthma, cough etc. Use of this medicine is quite good to alleviate the symptoms like narrowing of air ways, bronchial congestion, shortening of breath etc. Khadirarishta is known to be an effective medicine for good digestive health.
- It is a tremendous blood purifier laxative, anthelmintic, antibacterial and digestive.
- It has good use in eliminating toxins from blood.
- Khadirarishta is source of lowering triglyceride and improving HDL activity.
- Khadirarishtam is usually suggested in every kind of skin diseases, glandular enlargement, localized abdominal swelling or tumor, intestinal parasites/worms infestation, splenic enlargement, tumor and anemia.
- Beneficial in Skin conditions like that of leucoderma, leprosy, boils etc.
- It is good for patient with heart diseases, worm infestation.
- It is useful in case of tumor, abdominal lump, cysts.
- Its use has been found effective in Asthma and in cough.
- It is efficient herbal medicine in Splenomegaly, jaundice, and anemia.
- Also a good supplement for Diabetes and obesity.
- Other condition where it can be beneficial are like Hypertriglyceridemia, hypercholesterolemia.
15 - 30 ml. one or two times a day, generally advised after food mixed with equal quantity of water.
- This medicine is safe in children above 5 years of age but only with lower dose.
- During the period of pregnancy, it is better to avoid this or consume only under medical supervision.
- During lactation period, it may be taken in lower doses, but that should be based on doctor's advice only.