Sarpagandha, also known as Rauwolfia serpentina (Rauvolfia serpentina) or black snakeroot is one of the very important Ayurvedic herbs. It is used in treating high BP, lack of sleep (insomnia).
- Juice of leaves can be applied to the eyes as a remedy for corneal opacity.
- in serpent bite application of root powder on site of bite.
- In Anidra it works well when given along with ghee.
- It is used in gastrointestinal maladies like anorexia, dyspepais, worm and abdominal pain.
For this purpose – sarpagandha kutaja bark skin. and vyaghri eranda roots are mixed in – 1:2:3 proportion and given with the milk, It destroys ama eliminates vata from gut.
- In Hypertension the paste of its roots, mixed with rose water with rock candy ameliorates. Mental stress, headache, giddiness, with included sound sleep.
- In Atisara its root and ishwari root are powdered and administer in diarrhoeal disorders.
- Kutaja skin and butter milk with its root works in bacillary dysentery.
- In Sarpa visa root powder (10-20mm) in given with water.
- The decotion of root is used to increase uterine contraction.