Horse Gram is a kind of bean commonly used in many South Indian states. This plant is native to different parts of India. The edible seeds are highly nutritious and are used for numerous culinary purposes. They also have some medicinal uses.
Various health benefits can be derived from these beans:
. It is widely used in Ayurvedic medicine for treating numerous health disorders including rheumatism, worm, conjunctivitis and piles.
- They have astringent and diuretic properties.
- The beams are beneficial for extracting phlegm.
- They are believed to be helpful for keeping the body warm during winter.
- Controlling fever is another health benefit of Horse Gram.
- The phenol content of the seeds helps to reduce excessive weight.
- They also help to lower cholesterol levels.
- According to some studies, the lipid extracts of Horse Gram are beneficial for treating peptic ulcer.
- It is also beneficial for reducing flatulence.
- These legumes help to control various menstrual problems.
- In India, Horse Gram is believed to be beneficial for treating kidney stones.
- Horse Gram water is prescribed for treating jaundice.
- This water is also used for relieving cough and cold.
- Applying a paste of powdered Horse Gram along with some water on the skin helps to control boils and skin rashes.
- The edible legumes are used for preparing various dishes. They have some other uses as well.