Chitramoolam (Plumbago zeylanica) choornam
- According to Ayurveda, Chitrak is a powerful heating herb that is traditionally used to enkindle the digestive fire, support healthy metabolism and remove natural toxins from the intestines. Chitrak supports the proper function of the liver and the healthy digestion of fat and sugars.
- Said to have anti inflammatory properties.
- May support healthy digestion.
- May help natural removal of toxins from the body.
- May support healthy metabolism.
In medical studies it has been found to have antioxidant, antifungal, antimicrobial and anti atherosclerotic properties. It seems that it may also be neuro-protective and protect the liver and be a cardio tonic.
In the Indian subcontinent the plant has been used in traditional medicine to treat diarrhoea, inflammation, fevers, Irritable Bowel syndrome (IBS) with the roots believed to have antifungal and anti-tumour properties. The root is used as a laxative, expectorant and for liver problems, body pains including those of rheumatism, headaches and a variety of other ailments.