Bael or Aegle marmelos is indigenous tree to India. Its leaves powder are known as Bel Patra and offered to Lord Shiva. It is a very important plant of Ayurveda. Its every part is used for treatment of various diseases. Bael/Bel/Bilva or Vilvam leaves are also full of medicinal properties. The Anti-diabetic effect of bael leaves is very well known. Its leaves can be used fresh as well as dried.
Its leaves are dried in shade and pulverised to get fine powder which can be administered orally. Its leaves juice can be taken in dosage of 5 ml and 1 teaspoon in dried powder form. Here is given more about the various scientifically proven medicinal properties of the Bel leaves as well as the conditions in which its use should be avoided.
The leaves powder of Beal tree has following medicinal properties
- Antidiabetic Activity
- Antidiarrheal Activity
- Antimicrobial Activity (`Against Escherichia coli, Streptococcus pneumoniae,
- Salmonella typhi, Klebsiella pneumoniae and Proteus vulgaris)
- Antifungal activity (Against Trichophyton mentagrophytes, T. rubrum, Microsporum canis, M. gypseum, Epidermophyton floccosum)
- Antibacterial activity
- Hepatoprotective Activity (Protects liver)
- Anti-spermatogenic/antifertility effect
- Diarrhoea, loose motion
- Intestinal diseases