Pacha Karpooram enhances the taste of the dishes. It is used mainly in sweets and desserts. We use it in making Sakkarai Pongal which helps to enhance the aroma and flavor. It should be added only a pinch.
You might have seen some recipes calling for edible camphor. Not all camphors are edible. Pacha Karpooram are edible and can be used in making food items. The label should have a direct mention that it is edible or else do not use for cooking.
Pacha Karpooram in different languages:
Scientific Name - Cinnamomum Camphora
Edible Camphor - English
Hindi - Kacha Karpoor or Pachchaa Karpoora
Tamil - Pachai Karpooram
Telugu - Pachchaa Karpoora or Cheen Karpooram
Health Benefits of Pacha Karpooram :
In addition to the nice aroma and flavor, Edible camphor has the following health benefits too.
1. A pinch of edible camphor helps to have a good sleep. You can have it with warm milk.
2. It is used as main ingredient in an ayurvedic medicine called 'Karpoorasava'. The medicine is used to treat diarrhoea, vomiting and digestion problems.
3. Boil a pinch of edible camphor and ajwain seeds in 1/2 cup water. Allow it to reduce to half of t the original quanitity. Filter the water and drink it for treating digestion problems.
4. Small amount of camphor can be heated with coconut oil and massaged in the chest for treating cold and cough. You can use normal camphor too. Check how to prepare here . Pacha Karpooram and oil catch fire easily. So, pay full attention while preparing it.
5. Camphor essential oil is available in market which can be used for various hair and skin problems. There are different camphor essential oils available.