It is widely distributed throughout India. In Ayurveda, it is considered widely beneficial in variety of diseases and is also used In India, it is one of the widely and commonly used Ayurvedic herbs.
- Vavding water given to New Moms to prevent Gas and Stomach Aches
- Carminative: Either prevents formation of gas in the gastrointestinal tract or facilitates the expulsion of gas [medical citation needed]
- Anthelmintic: Useful against tapeworms, but not other parasites.
- Vavding water given to New Moms to prevent Gas and Stomach Aches.
- Either prevents formation of gas in the gastrointestinal tract or facilitates the expulsion of gas. Anthelmintic: Useful against tapeworms, but not other parasites.
- Alexiteric It is believed to be useful in snake bite (resists poison), but it is not sufficient antidote to the venom.
- It is a common practice to put a few berries of the plant in the milk that is given to young children as it is believed to prevent Flatilence. 8. shushrutha describes the fruit as anthelmintic, restorative and tonic, and recommends their use along with liquorice root, for the purpose of strengthening the body and preventing the effects of age.
- vayuvidhang fruit extract has activity .
Embelia ribes is woody creeper shrub with brittle and flexible stem. It is medicinal plant also with terete branches also known as vai vidanga. Leaves are simple, alternate, ovate and sharp at both the ends. Length of leaves is 3 inch long and 1.5 inch broad. Flowers are small, white in color and have small petioles 3 to 4 inch in length. Fruits are small just like black pepper, reddish brown to black in color. Because of its appearance and nature it is also called false black pepper. Fruits are found in bunches. Outer covering of fruits is fragile and from inside seeds are spotted. Roots of this medicinal herb are brownish grey in color.
In Ayurveda false pepper seeds and white flowered embelia are common names of this herb. This versatile herb is used to treat variety of diseases but mainly it is used to cure worm infestation. Achraya sushrut describe its fruit as anti-helminthic and tonic to strengthen and to provide energy to body along with mulethi roots. To clear out excess vata dosha from intestine vidanga is used. It is used to boost up rasdhatva agni which stimulates body metabolism and helps to expel out extra fat from body. Vidanga is an herb used in Ayurveda as energy booster and tonic. Dry seeds of vidanga resemble pepper seeds and this herb is also called false black pepper. Vidanga seeds are best to use after storage of one year.
Rajnighantu described this herb with light properties, pungent taste and hot potency. It is used to make balance between vata and kapha. Vidanga is very effective to improve anorexia and digestive fire.
Major chemical compounds available in this herb are Embelin, homoembelin, christembine, quercitol and vilangine etc.
Embelia is found in areas up to the height of 1500mts. Embelia ribes found in the hilly areas of India like lower and central Himalayas down to Konkan, Deccan, and Western Ghats and south India. It is also distributed in china, Bhutan, Nepal and Pakistan. In India embelia is mostly distributed in Assam, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Kerala.
- Kingdom - Plantae
- Family - Myrsinaceae
- Order - Ericales
- English name - False black pepper, White flowered embelia, Embelia fruit
- Hindi name - Vaividang, Baibidang
- Telugu name - Vayu vidangalu, Vidangamu
- Bengali name - Vidang, Bidang, Biranga
- Marathi name - Bavidang, Ambti, Karkunnie
- Punjabi name - Bavidang
- Gujarati name - Bavadan
- Tamil name - Vilanga, Vayu vidanga, Vellal
- Kannada name - Vayu vilanga, Vayi vulanga
- Malayalam name - Vijhala
- Oriya name - Vidanga
|Hindi / Sanskrit
||Laghu, Ruksha, Teekshan
||Light, Dry, Piercing
||Metabolic Property (After Digestion)
Effects On Doshas
It balances vata and kapha dosha because of its hot potency.
Krimighna -Herb used to treat worm infestation.
Kushthghna -Herb used to cure skin disorders.
Truptighna - Herb used in relieving satiation
- Sursadi gana,
- Pipalyadi gana
- Pippalyadi gana,
- Sursadi gana
Ancient Verse About Embelia Ribes
Vidanga, krimighna, jantunashan, tandul,vail, amogha and chitartandul all are synonyms of Embelia. This piercing herb is pungent in taste with hot potency. It is dry in nature used to stimulate digestive fire and this herb is very light to digest. It is used to cure abdominal pain, flatulence, ascites, and worm infestation and pacify kapha and vata dosha.
Practical Uses Of Embelia Ribes
- Vidanga is best herb used for worm infestation that includes roundworm, threadworm and tapeworms. It is used to kill all type of bacteria, virus and fungus. This herb is also very effective for infants that are suffering with worm infestation.
- This herb is rejuvenating herb that provides good health and energy to body.
- It also acts as blood cleanser and it is used to clear extra toxins that are circulating in human plasma and lymphatic system.
- Vidanga powder is used for sufferers of piles and other ano-rectal disorders. It is also beneficial to cure obesity and benign tumors.
- This herb is also beneficial for human nervous system and it is used to treat various disorders associated with nervous system like epilepsy and paralysis. It is also recommended for various dental ailments.
- Fine powder of vidanga is used to reduce the excessive inflammation of nose.
- Vidanga improves digestive fire and used to cure nausea, vomiting, flatulence and abdominal pain. Because of its laxative properties it is also very effective herb to treat constipation.
- Its antifungal and antibacterial properties make this herb to treat various skin disorders. Fresh leaves and paste of leaves are used to improve skin complexion, skin pigmentation, eczema and other skin disorders.
- It is also used to cure fever and underlying symptoms like generalized weakness and fatigue etc.
- It is also a fat burner and used to reduce weight. It clears all the fat toxins that are circulating in plasma and lymphatic system.
- It is used to treat snake bite poisoning.
- Vidanga is used to cure chronic cough and it is also very effective for sufferers of tuberculosis.
- Astringent leaves of this herb are used for the treatment of sore throats and ulcers of mouth.
- This herb works on medha dhatu and it is very effective to cure diabetes.
- It is used to pacify vata and kapha dosha.
Ayurvedic Products From Embelia Ribes
- Vidanga Powder
- Chanderprabha vati
- Powder - 3-5gms
- Decoction - 3-15ml
- Pitta aggravation