Power Of Ayurvedic Triphala
Before modern medicine came into the picture, Ayurveda was used to treat all sorts of health ailments and conditions in India. Even with the advancement of modern medicine, there are many who prefer using Ayurvedic remedies. One such Ayurvedic preparation many people swear by and even call a ‘miracle product’ is Triphala Churna. This ayurvedic remedy is used to treat various health ailments. Here are amazing health benefits of Triphala Churna!
What is Triphala?
Triphala is not a standalone kitchen species or herb. Triphala is, in fact, a combination of two Sanskrit words, Tri: three and Phala, which means fruit. This means “triphala” is not one fruit or herb, but three fruits in one, in their dried and powdered form. Triphala is composed of the following three fruits:
- Embilica Officinalis, commonly known to the Indian people as Amla and otherwise called Indian gooseberry
- Terminalia Bellirica, commonly referred to as Bibhitaki in many languages, called Vibhidaka in Sanskrit and many people also called it the bedda or “Baheda” in day to day language.
- Terminalia chebula, called haritaki in Sanskrit is a nut like fruit picked when it is still yellow and ripening, mostly known as “harad” to common people.
These three fruits are dried properly to get the right form, then mixed in right proportions and sold as ‘triphala’. You can also try and do the mixing at home and have your own little treatment pack at home.
While the three are used separately for various treatments plans, the three together can be quite a power packed treatment for a number of health problems. The benefits of Triphala churna are listed below.
1. Digestive Problems:
Triphala works great as a laxative and can be used to stimulate bowel movements for a clean stomach and bowel. People with digestive problems or bowel movements issues can have one spoon triphala before going to bed at night and be constipation free the next morning. You can also take a spoon early morning on an empty stomach with loads of water. What does that do? It
- Cleanses your stomach and ensure clearer stomach movements
- Is a great way to relieve gas by relieving one of flatulence
- Provides nutrition in the form of nutrients and vitamins to the entire digestive tract, starting from the oesophagus to the anus.
- Works to improve and strengthen the rectal muscles
Once you start consuming Triphala, you can also give your body the necessary detoxification. The herb lends your skin a glowing touch.
3. Healthy Eyes:
Triphala is a potent eye tonic which will keep your eyes healthy and sharp. Mix and soak about 1-2 spoons of triphala powder in warm water and leave it overnight. In the morning, strain the soaked mixture and use this mixture to clean your eyes. This simple remedy will keep your eyes infection free and healthy.
[ Read: Home Remedies For Long Eyelashes ]
4. Improved Blood Circulation:
The triphala churan is a great way to stimulate and improve healthy blood circulation by improving and increasing the cardio movements in the capillary and strengthening flavonoid, which aids in healthy and improved blood circulation.
5. Give Your Immunity a Boost:
Thanks to the wonderful triphala churna benefits that includes cleaning the gastric and digestive tract, improving blood circulation and nourishing the body from within by providing necessary nutrients and minerals, Tripala helps boost the body’s immunity with its power packed spoon of health.
Got queries regarding health and wellness? Ask the experts at Lybrate.
6. Reduces Inflammation:
Regular consumption of triphala also helps reduce internal and external inflammation that one might have due to lack of proper immunity or lack of nutrients in the body.
The Individual Contributors:
The triphala churan offers all these great properties thanks to its constituents, which are loaded with the goodness of nature.
1. Amla Does the Trick:
- Amla brings to the churan many benefits of its own. Amla is rich in Vitamin C, which helps in boosting immunity, works as a great antioxidant, and helps absorb food properly to improve digestion.
- Vitamin C is a richness that amla offers to anyone who consumes it and helps improve absorption of iron into the blood and is great for people who suffer with anemia.
- Vitamin C is also a stimulator for the gall bladder and liver and helps improve the digestive tract while detoxifying the body by the production of healthy radicals. It is also a good treatment for girls and women alike who suffer from menstrual problems.
- Amla is also good for the urinary system, respiratory system and removes mucus from the lungs.
- Also, since it stimulates blood circulation, amla stimulates the brain functioning and absorption of minerals that give considerable health to the skin, hair, nails, and teeth.
2. Harad is Amazing:
- Harad works for eyes and helps prevent diseases like cataract and glaucoma
- It improves and aids in promoting the healing process and hence any wounds, ulcers heal faster
- Harad works great for any kind of skin problems or diseases
- Harad also works for spleen, liver; helps with memory boosting and clarity of mind
- Since Harad is good for skin, it also is good as an anti-aging remedy for people
3. Baheda – The Wonder Watch:
- It works to help purify blood, burn and remove excess body fat along with harmful toxins, improves eye sight, and has antiviral and antibacterial qualities too.
- It also assists and works for strengthening the roots of the hair, reduce hair fall and graying of hair.
The three together are a powerful pack of health and work wonders for all kinds of health issues and problems. The biggest contributing factor is the fact that they clean the bowel and purify the blood. The two make for most of the problem we as humans face due to improper eating and reduced immunity. Once you get your bowel going and stomach healthy, you can rest assured of good health.
Above all, the triphala powder also aids to lose weight. Since it acts as an anti-inflammatory agent, it is also used for arthritis treatment and to reduce inflammation. Also, it has antioxidants and is used to prevent or delay aging. It also has some anti-cancer properties.
How to Consume or Use the Triphala Churna?
Now that we have established and discussed in detail the many benefits of triphala churna, it is important to know and understand how to best take the churna for best result. Given that the 3 ingredients are all diverse in taste and not so good when you try and taste with your mouth, together they mix to form a taste that can sometimes be difficult for many to smell or digest.
- One is supposed to eat a spoonful of triphala with water, but if one finds it tough to gulp it down, mixing it with a little honey, lemon or sugar is a good idea. But it is important to mention here that add one of these only to slightly alter the taste of triphala powder, not to make it taste sweet.
- The best way is to consume the powder early in the morning on an empty stomach with warm water.
- Another way is to consume the powder at night about 2 hours before bed time with warm water. There is no recommended dosage as it has no side effects that have been established so far. So, the best is to know the dosage that works for you and stick to it.
- You can also make tea with the powder to get its benefits. Boil it in water and drink after adding about a teaspoon of honey to the mixture for good taste.
What exactly is Triphala Churna?
Triphala Churna is a herbal concoction of three fruits- Amlakai (Emblica Officinalis), Bibhitaki or Baheda (Terminalia Bellirica), and Haritakai (Terminalia Chebulia). The mixture is prepared by drying the fruits, grinding them into a fine powder, and mixing them in certain proportions.
Benefits of Triphala Churna!
- Improves oral health- Gum diseases and dental plaque are more common than you’d think. If you are suffering from similar oral issues including gingivitis and ulcers. Triphala powder has antimicrobial properties that will help deal with oral issues and eventually get rid of them. A Triphala mouthwash will help you deal with bad breath.
- Detoxifier- Sometimes, our lifestyle choices and unhealthy eating habits allow toxins to pile up in our body. These toxins can be harmful to your body and make you fall sick. Triphala Churna can really help get rid of the toxins in your body and thus, make you healthier.
- Aids in weight loss- Want to lose weight the healthy way without any crash diet? You should definitely check out Triphala Churna! When you consume the powder, it activates the secretion of a hormone which helps your brain identify that you are not hungry.
- Constipation- Triphala Churna has laxative properties which help in smooth bowel movements. When consumed in limited quantities, Triphala Churna really helps with easy digestion.
- Effective in managing diabetes- This herbal remedy has long been used as an alternative treatment for diabetes. Consumption of Triphala Churna regulates blood sugar levels and also helps reduce the level of sugar in the blood.
- Skin protectant- Triphala is very high in antioxidants which are highly beneficial for the skin. Whether you consume it or apply it topically on your skin, this herbal remedy really helps achieve youthful skin. The emollient properties of Triphala also aids in keeping your skin moisturised and gets rid of dry flaky skin.
How to use Triphala Churna?
Triphala churna is usually in powdered form and can be consumed by blending a teaspoon of the powder with a glass of hot water. You can add lemon or honey for taste. Alternatively, you can also opt for Triphala supplements that come in the form of capsules or tablets.